Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. Philippians 4:6
Anxiety is a real thing.
There are days where I wake up and my chest feels heavy from the start. I have a long to-do list for the day, I’m probably behind on a task or two, and I’m not sure how the future is going to play out. I want to feel in control, but on these days, I feel like I’m not quite sure how to do what I need to do and get away from that drowning feeling.
Oh, you’ve experienced these feelings, too? I’m glad I’m not alone.
We are human, and humans seem to like control. We like to know what’s ahead. We like to feel accomplished with our days. We like to make plans for ourselves and hope they play out.
I’m learning more and more that I’m a planner. I like to have steps A, B, C, and D all ready to go. Having a plan isn’t necessarily a bad thing, but when step A isn’t directly followed by my step B, I feel a loss of control and anxiety sets in.
A sweet friend of mine recently reminded me that Jesus was human, and He understands the weight and burden that comes with living in this world. He knows it’s not easy and He has compassion on us as His sons and daughters.
He doesn’t want us to worry about the future. To wonder if our plans are going to play out. To try and figure out every single step we need to take with our lives.
He loves us, and he wants to take the burden and control away. Now, giving Jesus control is easier said than done. I have to give him the things I’m worried about every single day… sometimes multiple times a day… in order to lessen the anxiety I might feel. BUT we have a Heavenly Father who WANTS these things from us. He WANTS to walk with us through the unknowns of life, and he WANTS to guide us each and every day.
I recently went live on Facebook with some practical steps we can take to give God our anxiety and worry each and every day. I’m also going to put them here so you can get all the details about what’s been working for me.
- PRAY. Just like Philippians 4:6 says. It’s crazy what can happen when we talk to God about our lives.
- Get in Scripture. Ask God what He wants to tell you and open up your Bible. There is Truth in there, which is exactly what you need when you’re anxious.
- Talk to someone who can be your voice of reason. You need someone to love you and pray for you… and call out your crazy when your worries just don’t make sense.
- Exercise. When we are taking care of ourselves physically, we are also contributing to our emotional health. Go on a walk, dance to some music in front of your mirror, do a quick home workout… just get moving.
- Focus on TODAY. Forget about tomorrow or next month, and do your best at what God has given you today.
So, if you’re experiencing anxiety, know you aren’t alone. I’m with you, sweet friend.
What other tips do you have to battle anxiety?
Jesus, I pray for those who are reading this. Help us give each day to you. Help us focus on what the day holds, and help us to do our best at what you give us. Thank you for your grace when we worry and stress, and your willingness to carry our burdens and guide our lives. You are so good! Thank you for your plans that are so much better than anything we can dream up for ourselves. In your name I pray.