One of the first foods I remember learning how to make was my beloved, boxed, macaroni and cheese.
I mean, where can you go wrong with carbs covered in cheese?! Nowadays, I’m not surprised to see versions of mac ‘n’ cheese on restaurant menus. It’s like our generation doesn’t want to let this classic meal go!
I now realize that this isn’t the healthiest meal in the world, so I’ve been on a mission to make it more nutrient dense and a little cleaner than the stuff we grew up with. I’ve tried a couple of versions for my husband and I and even took a spinach and bacon version to a friend recently. I love this recipe because you can get creative and it’s quick to throw together!
Grown Up Mac ‘N’ Cheese
- 1 Box Annie’s Organic Shells & Real Aged Cheddar Macaroni & Cheese, prepared (follow box directions)
- 1-2 chicken breasts, diced
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1/2 red pepper, diced
- 1/2 green pepper, diced
- 1/2 yellow pepper, diced
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1-2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Milk (if needed to prevent dryness)
- Warm the oil in a pan on medium-high heat. Add chicken, peppers, garlic, and onion to pan. Cook chicken thoroughly.
- Add garlic powder and cumin, stirring to coat evenly.
- Add prepared macaroni and cheese, stirring until well mixed. You may need to add a extra milk if it seems too dry.
- Plate and enjoy!
Other ingredient combinations:
- bacon, onion, spinach, and garlic (this one goes great with Annie’s white cheddar macaroni and cheese option!)
- avocado, chicken, onion, lime juice, and cilantro (also great with the white cheddar)
- chicken, bacon, and yogurt ranch dressing
Like I said, get creative and make this your own! You’ll definitely be able to find a combination your family loves. 🙂